View Single Post
Old Wed Jul 13, 2011, 06:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Slick View Post
I only made this ruling once (ASA rule set, girl's JO)- BR caught in between 1st and 2nd, she switches directions and twists a knee. The only problem: the ball was thrown into left field in an attempt to retire her at second. I stopped play, and placed the sub on 2nd. I probably would not have made the same call in NCAA, nor a ASA M/W FP/SP.
Well, this doesn't, or isn't supposed to, fall under the rule since this isn't a case where the injury requires immediate attention.

This is why I don't like the rule. I understand it, but I don't like being put in the position we are experiencing here.

This was a coach-driven rule that was initiated because the coaches & parents would run out onto the field anything something would go awry. If the umpire said something, the coaches/parents told them they didn't care. This is also a rule that stick-and-ball games have had no need for over a century, but all of a sudden the world is going to come to an end if Lil' Suzy doesn't have her tears dabbed away immediately.

I'm pretty much with Mike, blood and/or bone, no brainer. I would add an obvious head injury, yeah, kill the play. Otherwise, play continues.

Quote:
But there is another part to this thread. Do you advise the runner about touching the plate? My answer is ABSOLUTELY. There is no way I will allow the defense to "benefit" from their improper actions.
I wouldn't advise the runner of anything, just announce the award. And if I stopped the game for an injury, that player is going to need a substitute. I would remind the coach that the substitute may take the runners place and complete her running assignments.

Quote:
A few months ago, in a high school playoff game (first inning), sac fly where R1 is knocked down by the catcher before she has possession of the ball. I signal obstruction, then have a dead ball as the runner was tagged. I announced the obstruction and the award. Both players are down and being attended to. As the offensive coach is attending, I tell him "make sure the runner touches the plate." I know some may disagree, but like I said previously, how can you allow the defense to benefit?
It isn't a matter of "allowing" someone to benefit, but the offended team to play the game under the rules they elected to participate.