View Single Post
Old Wed Jul 13, 2011, 02:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post
I would submit that any "injury" where both players got up and neither left the game wouldn't meet the definition of: . . .
I guess you bought the new umpire indicator, with the ability to tell the future?

Steve (all kidding aside), I think you pointed out (quite well, I might add) one big factor-the different organizations have different criteria in which to invoke this particular rule. And as MD, Sr. pointed out (as well as my failed attempt for humor), you really don't know if a serious injury has happened until after they are attended to.

I only made this ruling once (ASA rule set, girl's JO)- BR caught in between 1st and 2nd, she switches directions and twists a knee. The only problem: the ball was thrown into left field in an attempt to retire her at second. I stopped play, and placed the sub on 2nd. I probably would not have made the same call in NCAA, nor a ASA M/W FP/SP.

But there is another part to this thread. Do you advise the runner about touching the plate? My answer is ABSOLUTELY. There is no way I will allow the defense to "benefit" from their improper actions. A few months ago, in a high school playoff game (first inning), sac fly where R1 is knocked down by the catcher before she has possession of the ball. I signal obstruction, then have a dead ball as the runner was tagged. I announced the obstruction and the award. Both players are down and being attended to. As the offensive coach is attending, I tell him "make sure the runner touches the plate." I know some may disagree, but like I said previously, how can you allow the defense to benefit?

This is unlike any other situation where awards are made, and therefore I would act/rule/officiate/advise differently.