View Single Post
Old Thu Feb 27, 2003, 10:09am
Official Forum Member

Need some advice, although it might be too late.

A few nights ago, I worked a game with a very weak partner. He did not switch on fouls, did not close down properly and was rooted in concrete as Trail; and he was poor on judgment (calling 2 Charges blocks), and generally left me hanging in several situations.

In retrospect, there seems there are 2 ways to handle partner-without-a-clue:

1. Be supportive. Project the appearance to players, coaches and fans that we are in charge and can keep the game flowing. So, if he does not switch, don't force it and make him look bad. If he is stuck in concrete (2 man game), make adjustments to my position to expand my area a bit to cover the game.

OR

2. Be the BOSS. Force the switch, give hand signals to have him cover his area properly. over-rule his obvious errors in judgments (Blarge, out-of-bounds directions, etc). This approach, however, gives everyone in the gym the message that he is the weakest link, which can lead to disaster later in a close game.

In the game, I chose the first. I judged it was more important not to allow the game to descend into choas.

Unfortunately, it was our floor test. The weakest link may have sunk me.

Now that it is over, would it be advisable to file a written self-evaluation of the floor test to the supervisor?

Any advice would be appreciated.

HUNG-OUT-2-DRY-IN-JERSEY