View Single Post
Old Thu Jul 07, 2011, 10:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Some camps teach "Possession Consequence" with regards to rebounding fouls. It is basically a different way to say advantage/disadvantage but may clarify what constitutes and advantage/disadvantage for some.
{No more half-truths... No more half-truths... No more half-truths}

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopguy View Post
I have heard Cameron's point as well but I tend to disagree with that philosophy on a HTBT case by case situation. Often minor displacement that does not affect the play can and should be ignored but a major push should be called, in my opinion, no matter where the ball goes and it is best to get it early in the game. This can prevent huge headaches later in the game. Also, when you let A1 give a huge box out displacement to B1, what happens when B1 now realizes what the 'rule' is based on the no call and clears out A1 on the other end?
I've been taught that there are 2 instances when we put a whistle on rebounding contact. In addition to what Camron states, "Clean Up" is the other. And thats the category your scenarios fall under.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
It's part of the learning process, but "advantage/disadvantage" is all but written into the rules in the definition of a foul.
Learning which contact is a foul, and which contact is incidental is part of learning how to officiate.

When A1 gets slapped on the arm as he blows by B1, and he's about to get an easy layup anyway, there's no foul.

A much lighter slap on the arm would be a foul, however, if it occurred during the shooting motion and actually affected the shot.
Excellent points Snaqs, that's the "Art" of what we do!

The key to what is & what isnt a foul (drives to the bucket & rebounding) is a patient whistle. Once we acquire one of those, what a work of art we can make.

+1

Not quite enough for an And1 but if the contact makes him miss I'll come back & get it... Ahhhh nevermind, he should've made that one regardless.