View Single Post
Old Mon Jul 04, 2011, 09:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by derwil View Post
BU should have moved inside to get his angle for the runner tagging at first, which is his responsibility. PU has to move onto field close to circle on th catch, then to the line and down the line towards 3rd to make the call. Realistically it will be hard to get to the 10 ft perscribed by the book. At ASA National Camp, they stressed ange over distance. Get to the line (actually 1 step off), then close down to the play.
I wouldn't say this is an absolute.

On a fly ball, PU has the catch and runner at 2nd base. As the PU, my exact movement would depend on where the ball was hit, but coming inside the diamond is going to be my last option for the catch.

If I can get a good look at the catch from a holding zone on 3B side, that is where I will be. If a potential play at 3B seems imminent, I come inside for that call. Otherwise, I stay in the holding zone and be prepared to take R1 to the plate.

Quote:
Once the tag is applied you can continue to close 1-2 steps, then make the call.
Maybe it is the wording, but you don't "continue" anywhere after the tag. The umpire should have come to a stop to see the tag, then make the call. Now, if you are referring to taking steps as part of an overhand/sell out, I agree.

Quote:
This is probably one of the toughest plays for the PU along with making a call at third after helping with a B/R at 1st.
When there is a runner beginning the play at 2B, the PU should not be trailing the BR.