View Single Post
Old Mon Nov 20, 2000, 11:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BackJudge
In reading the rule book on penalty enforcement, I have a question on a play.

A's ball 1st and goal at the 5 yard line. A1 drops back to pass. A5 holds at the 8 yard line. A1 passes to A2 in the endzone and it is incomplete. B accepts the penalty for holding. Is the ball marked off from the 5 or the 8?

I say the 5. A loose ball play includes the run(s) that precede it, making this a foul during a loose ball play. The basic spot for a loose ball play is the previous spot (in this case the 5).

I am being told by several people (including the referee of our playoff crew) that since the spot of the foul is behind the basic spot (all but one rule) you mark it off from the 8. The case book agrees with me (10.4.2B on page 77 w/comment), however rule 10-6 All but One Principle does not.

DOES ANYONE KNOW THE CORRECT ANSWER

Your playoff referee is correct. The penalty is enforced from the 8 yardline, which is the spot of the foul. A foul by the offense that occurs behind the basic spot is enforced, under the all-but-one principle, from the spot of the foul.

Reread the casebook, play 10.4.2B. Reread it carefully, because you are not grasping it. The casebook play is simply establishing that the BASIC spot is the previous spot on the loose-ball play. The point of the casebook play is that, although there is much action between the snap and the end of the play, it is all part of a single loose-ball play. Nowhere in casebook play 10.4.2B is the all-but-one principle contradicted.

You'll note that in casebook play 10.4.2B, the spot of A3's hold is never mentioned. That's because it is not germane to the point the play is illustrating. If you look at 10.4.2D(a) you'll find the casebook support for your referee's decision.