Thread: 3 to 2
View Single Post
Old Thu Jun 30, 2011, 10:25am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Translation: Most of the veteran officials either do not wish to make the physical effort which is required to properly work the 2-man system or aren't capable of doing so, and thus elected to remove themselves from consideration for those assignments.
Listen, I bust my balls to work 2-person in the games that are assigned that way. I can keep up with the youngest and most fit officials in the area (after getting in shape, certainly). I'll admit I wasn't always in great shape and not everyone is, but that's not the only reason to not want to work 2-person. I will not work baseball 1-person or football 3-person under any circumstances and that has nothing to do with being lazy.

But we have one conference locally that has decided to go to 2 officials after next season that's been 3 for about the last 5-6 years. It's a very athletic conference and there's a lot of contact and a lot of less-than-controlled play on the boys side. The conference should be careful what it wishes for -- I'm guessing the coaches will do one season of 2-person and wonder what they were thinking.

I worked the conference when it was 2-person and I'll work it once it goes back to 2-person (unless I pack it in entirely) and I'll give it my best. But not wanting to work 2-person has nothing to do with me not wanting to work hard. I work hard EVERY game. Running like an idiot up and down the court and having to sacrifice the benefits of a 3-person crew to save $60 a game just isn't an attractive option and I can see how people, given a choice, would rather not do it.

I just don't get why nobody asked if we'd take a small pay cut and stay 3-person. Most of the top officials would be happy to do that.

Last edited by Rich; Thu Jun 30, 2011 at 10:27am.