View Single Post
Old Tue Jun 28, 2011, 10:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JefferMC View Post
I think this may cause you some greif on a drop ball, as the ball can easily be above the knees at the front of the plate and well below by the catcher's glove. But you did say it wasn't the "be all and end all."
I don't get any grief on a drop ball that is in the strike zone - it's usually swung on and missed. I also did say that it's just a guide...and I don't call anything to please anyone. I call em the way I see em. But using that reference point usually, usually works nicely.

Not always, and in those cases, I adjust. (tall batter, drop ball, rise, etc.) I track the pitch all the way in, and I feel I have a very fair and CONSISTENT zone.

To get back to the OP, it was asked for help on the low strikes/pitches. And this is one decent way I have found that has helped me, besides slowing down and watching the ball all the way in.

To each their own. Just be consistent and you should be okay. But to improve your view, consider what's been discussed.

As umpires, we are expected to be perfect our first game and get better every time out thereafter.