View Single Post
Old Mon Jun 27, 2011, 07:29am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
I'll make one additional comment for my thinking in this.
Several of the more veteran officials out here still use the "save a foul" concept when making OOB calls. That means that they will see contact and instead of penalizing it when the person with the ball or who would have gained possession of the ball loses/last touches the ball which goes OOB, these folks simply award the throw-in to that player's team.

I don't agree with this idea, but I'm not going to go to those people and inform them that I clearly saw W11 touch the ball last only to be told, "Yeah, I know. I saved B32 a foul." This happens fairly frequently in this area when working with some of the long-time vets.

I strongly believe that it is not our job to "save" players fouls. We should be judging the contact as illegal and penalizing it or deeming it incidental and properly awarding possession on the OOB to the team which didn't last touch the ball.
Which is addressed, as I said in my last post, by not giving help on plays that occur in that official's PCA. But if a shot or pass is tipped coming from your PCA you are just going to turn a blinded eye if your partner gives the ball to the wrong team? That has nothing to do with saving a foul.