View Single Post
Old Wed Jun 22, 2011, 11:10pm
Official Forum Member

I does read a bit like an episode of the Soprano's.........d;-)

Locally, we have had the police called twice to LL BB games in the last couple of years.....both because of parents. Our local JO ASA league has had a security policeman at the fields for the last 15 years (at a cost of $75 per night). That was brought up by because of teenage boys stealing bicycles and unattended purses......along with just beeing *******s to the younger teenage girls. I was not on the board, but volunteered for field duty back then to keep this type of crap down.......the board decided that parents were not effective.........and decided to spend the money for a off duty policeman/woman on game nights. I cannot imagine the amount of money spent on this in the last 15 years......

Galveston used to have supposed ties to the Mob from the 30's through the early 60's. There was a saying about the Island regarding Jews, Italians, and others that summed it up prior to me growing up. However, that was a bit before my time, but I did date a couple of Italian girls in HS that their fathers scared the crap out of me. One of the girls was from a church camp I attended when I was about 15.......I never saw her again after I met her Dad...........

Too bad too.....they were rich.......

It is funny though......one of the higher end Italian families (they own a restaurant) in Galveston took to all three of my daughters......they are all honorary Swedish/German/Italians.........my oldest two daughters worked as hostesses and waitresses.....my oldest was even allowed to make pizzas......special honor. The grandson of the original owner allowed her to do it.......first girl to ever flip a pizza there.

.......and they took a shine to my youngest.......she broke their heart when she went to work at a Mexican restaurant as a hostess/waitress/bartender (Mike was not surprised....and he is right.....there is a good Mexican restaurant on every corner. She did not want to follow in her sisters footsteps (had to be different).........and she has done well on her own. Starts her 2nd year of Nursing school in August.

Sorry for the stroll down memory lane, but when I started on this board........my oldest had just turned 13. She had huge promise as a great softball player......who knew she would become an engineer.............I did.........

She actually tutored the UH softball team in some of their Math courses........

Sports are great and I will officiate forever........But I will never give a kid false hope that they can make it!

Joel

BTW....Even cheap bourbon is great in a $150 glass

Joel

Last edited by Gulf Coast Blue; Thu Jun 23, 2011 at 03:32am.