View Single Post
Old Mon Jun 20, 2011, 06:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry1953 View Post
Look guys, I am not trying to be insulting to you and there is no reason to be insulting to me. I volunteered for about 8 years to manage or help coach my two sons in youth ball. Winning was a goal - sure - why keep score if it is not. But my primary goal was to teach the kids the fundamentals: how to throw the ball, hit the ball, catch the ball and know the rules. None of the kids I coached ever went pro, but I hope they can go to a ballgame and appreciate it more because of what I taught them. I hope that when they are called down from the stands to umpire a game for their kids that they will have a better understanding of the rules than the high school kids we got. Passing along the game of baseball to the next generation borders on a sacred duty, or at least it used to be. And it bugged me no end to hear a high school baseball player umpiring our games say non-sense like "the ground can't cause a fumble" when the ball popped out after a diving catch or to get a deer-in-headlights look when I said the word obstruction.
How about this - in your original scenario, F5 jumped up for the ball and it glances off his glove. F5 comes down and your runner runs into him. Both players were doing what they were supposed to be doing, therefore it's a simple collision (ala Fisk/Arbruster play). If F5 were just standing there doing nothing, that would probably be different.

Last edited by ozzy6900; Mon Jun 20, 2011 at 06:53am.