View Single Post
Old Mon Jun 20, 2011, 12:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives View Post
1) LL doesn't have the "in the act of fielding" in its rule.

2) There is not instantaneous relief for the runner. The quote you posted refers to a fielder who "continues" to lie on the ground - i..e makes no effort to get out of the way. Whie he'd better do it quickly he just can't go poof.

3) You're just pissed because the umpire didn't call it and your team lost a run and thus the game. If you'd been the winning coach would you be here ranting? I think not.
Sorry Rich. I pulled the quote straight from a Youth League website. Your comment is in direct contradiction to numerous case commentaries but I guess they are wrong too.

The game in question was over 15 years ago. It didn't matter to me what the outcome of the game was, just the abysmal ignorance of the umpire who had no idea of the nuances of the obstruction rule. EVERY casebook commentary says that once the ball has gone past the fielder he can no longer be considered in the act of fielding and the fielder has VERY LIKELY obstructed the runner. That is EXACTLY what happened in that long ago game but apparently very few umpires let something like - you know - plain English come in the way of their infallible judgment.