View Single Post
Old Sun Jun 19, 2011, 12:52pm
Official Forum Member

UMP25, that makes complete sense and makes the PU's call exactly the third trimester abortion another poster said it was. This really needs to be brought up and truthfully explained in umpire training so it doesn't filter down as a precedent to lower levels. All I heard from the coaches was that they both just shrugged their shoulders and said, "the interference call takes precedence over the walk". (Can somebody cite the rulebook chapter and verse where it says that?).

I remember a play in 10-12 year old Little League where we had whatever high school kids who needed an extra buck got to umpire the games. Our batter hit a soft pop-up to the pitcher who made a good play diving for it and catching it in mid-air in his glove. But when he and his glove landed on the ground a split second later, the ball popped out. The PU empathically pumped a double pump out sign. I went out to say, "Blue, no way that is a catch, he has to keep control". The ump replied, "Nope, Coach, that's a catch. The ground can't cause a fumble". I told him he was officiating the wrong game and he told me another word and I was gone. I found the situation so blissfully idiotic that I just chuckled and went back to the dugout. But I can well imagine some rube who watched the Texas-ASU game will have the "interference takes precedence over the walk" BS stuck in his head and perpetuate this non-sense for years to come.