View Single Post
Old Sun Jun 19, 2011, 02:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BretMan View Post
A situation blatantly ripped off from another forum...

One out. R1 on third, R2 on second. Batted ground ball is fielded by F6. In fielding the ball, F6 must move close to second base, such that second base is directly in-line with him and first base.

R2 never leaves the bag and is not attempting to advance. As F6 attempts to throw out the batter-runner at first, R2, while still standing on the base, raises his arms over his head. This blocks F6 from having a clear throw to first. F6 has to double-pump and adjust his position to get off the throw. By the time he does, it is too late to retire the batter-runner at first base.

You, as the umpire, judge that had R2 not raised his hands F6 would of had a clear chance to retire the batter-runner (ie: you judge that R2 has committed interference).

Let's forget about R1 for a second. He either crossed the plate before or after the interference happened.

What about R2 and the batter-runner? What do you have?

I have R2 out for interference and the BR would get first. You cannot say that R2 prevented a double play as there was no 2nd out to be had. F6 was trying for one out only so I am only getting one out on this play.

I would either allow the run to score or place him back on third based on his position at the time of the interference.

Joel