View Single Post
Old Mon Nov 20, 2000, 01:35am
Official Forum Member

Bible's Comments

Garth, I didn't know that Jon made those comments. In my opinion, he is absolutely correct.

A light background; I attended the week long LL clinic in '90. I was overwhelmed. I did it again the next year and learned a hell of a lot more. I did it again in '92 and pretty much learned nothing new. Evans Desert Classic in '93 was my next step. A whole new World opened up. I was, nonetheless, overwhelmed. Attended again the next year and a learned a whole lot more. Attended twice more in '95 & '97; learning curve was minimal. In 1998, I made the grand commitment and attended Jim's 5 week Academy for Pro Umpires (Like I was gonna get a job at 55 years old). This was a different World. I learned an incredible amount. Would I atend again? Absolutely NOT!!

My appearance at this year's classic was simply that, an appearance. I visited and socialized with some friends, watched some of the training and did some minor evaluation of some of the guys in my organization.

Jon's assessment that more clinics is not necessarily better, makes sense. Learning rules and mechanics is one thing; perfecting game situations and management is the final and necessary step. That final step can be introduced in clinics but cannot be perfected without true game situations.

I'll open up a new thread in regards to Alderson's implementation of the high (book)strike zone.

Dave Davies