Thread: Budget Cuts
View Single Post
Old Mon Jun 06, 2011, 01:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
First of all, your assertion that teachers do not share in the higher cost of health insurance is false. As a teacher myself, I can tell you that they take more and more money out of my check each year for health coverage, and my co-pays have gone up each year also.
That is not how it works here. The only way that teachers pay more for health insurance here is if it is bargained as part of their contract. Not surprisingly, the teachers are very strong in their desire to keep the status quo and have not shared in the higher costs of health insurance. I don't blame them for that stance. But for the school district, if it has to pay $100,000 more for health insurance (as a simple example), then it has to cut that money from somewhere else or raise revenue. Sports is always an easy place to start. There is one school district in this state that pays nothing for sports. All the money has to be raised by the teams, boosters and parents. Last year, one of its basketball teams won the state championship for its division...and much was made of how it pulled that off without any formal school funding.