Thread: Budget Cuts
View Single Post
Old Mon Jun 06, 2011, 11:38am
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayStateRef View Post
I have neither a one-track mind nor do I pretend to know more about school budgets than anyone else. But I do know this: coaches get paid and their pay goes up each year. Teachers get paid and their pay goes up each year. Health care costs go up each year, but in most school districts, teachers and other school employees do not share in that higher cost (which is nothing at all like what happens in my private business.)

I understand full well why budget directors are trying to cut expenses and as a taxpayer, I fully support those efforts. But I reject the notion that officials should be the only ones that must make less money to keep costs in check. Of course, most officials are not part of the "system" and we will see our fees cut long before we see the pay of anyone on the inside cut.
First of all, your assertion that teachers do not share in the higher cost of health insurance is false. As a teacher myself, I can tell you that they take more and more money out of my check each year for health coverage, and my co-pays have gone up each year also.

Having said that, there really is no reason to accept less pay as officials. The Districts can and should save money on travel, out-of-state tournaments, etc., etc. But our services are needed and we should not accept a pay cut. We also should not expect a pay raise.