Thread: Budget Cuts
View Single Post
Old Mon Jun 06, 2011, 10:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amusedofficial View Post
Already, kids aren't playing because in many places they're being charged to play. If the schools around here can come up in another 1,000 to 2,500 from the taxpayers for a particular sport, they should use it to reduce participation fees, not indulge the know-it-all attitude of officials and their one-track-mind take on what the budgetary priorities of an educational system ought to be.
I have neither a one-track mind nor do I pretend to know more about school budgets than anyone else. But I do know this: coaches get paid and their pay goes up each year. Teachers get paid and their pay goes up each year. Health care costs go up each year, but in most school districts, teachers and other school employees do not share in that higher cost (which is nothing at all like what happens in my private business.)

I understand full well why budget directors are trying to cut expenses and as a taxpayer, I fully support those efforts. But I reject the notion that officials should be the only ones that must make less money to keep costs in check. Of course, most officials are not part of the "system" and we will see our fees cut long before we see the pay of anyone on the inside cut.