View Single Post
Old Thu Jun 02, 2011, 10:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipper View Post
The last thing Earlywine said, while pointing emphatically, was "You missed it." The replays in the 1st inning allow you to read his lips.

However, in about the 3rd inning, they recap the incident from a different angle. You can clearly see Kurnat saying "You better get out of my face!" just before Earlywine's arm swing/point. Now, I'm not saying it was a bad ejection, but how would you expect a college coach, particularly one who played softball at as high a level as this one did, to react to this comment. I can tell you that if the SUP was aware of this type of comment made during the season, it could very well cost that umpire a post-season assignment.
OK, you're the PU in the sitch, big game, big stage, big time programs and coaches, big crowd, national TV.....in that heated moment as Earlywine is going ballistic on you, what would you have said to him?

As to how I would expect him to react to the "get out of my face" comment?
He can react anyway he chooses, but if reacts inappropriately by "pointing emphatically" and doing and "arm swing/point" he's likely getting ejected by any good umpire with backbone and integrity.

This is a respected and highly regarded NCAA umpire who has "been here and done that" time and time again. I don't think the SUP will be taking any post-season assignments away from him.

But then again I'm probably wrong about that as I'm not privy to the inner workings of the SUP's post season selection process as you are.