View Single Post
Old Wed Jun 01, 2011, 09:46pm
Official Forum Member

There is no set time limit in these situations. I can't speak towards roller derby but in all the major North American sports, officials can in theory take as long as needed to discuss and thus properly enforce the rules. Of course we don't want to take TOO long, but there are times when a lot is happening and enforcement can be tricky when rushed. I can almost say without a doubt that there would never be rule in place to artificially limit the amount of time officials get in this situation.

The only kind of time limits placed on an official's timeout generally has to do with replay where the replay can be viewed for a limited amount of time. The NBA allows the officials to look at the replay for two minutes (save for those that involve player altercations), the NFL allows the referee 60 seconds to view replay, and I believe the NHL and MLB gets its replays viewed and decided from a central office. Again, those are limits for replay, and technically, the officials could take as long as needed to discuss and proper enforce whatever needs to be taken care of.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.