Thread: Mens/Womens?
View Single Post
Old Fri May 27, 2011, 10:47am
Official Forum Member

As someone who has been through this experience the past few summers as I am "young" when it comes to officiating at 25 even though I've been doing this for about 8 years now. The advice everyone is giving you on here is correct. If you have the money take the chance to go both a Men's and Women's camp to decide which one you look better. When I decided to go to camp about 3 years ago I went to only a Women's camp. The reason why I decided to do that was because of all the mentors I had where all Women's college officials and they saw something in me that helped me get to where I am at now working in both division 2 and 3.

As for your height it shouldn't make a difference if you go to Women's side at 5'10, I am about the same height as you and I have 2 of my mentors who are 6'2 and 6'4 but they carry themselves as a professional and do there work.

The main point of what I am trying to say is that you are young and can choose which direction you want to go. Just remember that you need to work your butt off at the camps and be noticed. Also, if you have a mentor that works with you ask them for their advice. One of the best decisions I ever did when I started officiating was to find a mentor. I was just lucky enough that my mentor was someone who worked at the college I attended, and til this day all the advice I get from not just that mentor but all of my mentors I wouldn't exchange it for anything in this game.

Peace,
JB