Thread: Mens/Womens?
View Single Post
Old Thu May 26, 2011, 05:32pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Kingsman1288
Question Mens/Womens?

I know this topic has been pretty much discussed to death, but I'm just looking for some opinions here on my situation.

I'm at the point in my officiating career where I'm going to start making serious attempts to break into college ball. That being said, I'm not sure which side to go for. People in my association are all telling me to go the women's route because they feel I have the right "look" for that game. I'm not really sure what that means. I'm about 5' 10" and on the thin side, which I'm told will help me in the women's game because I appear less intimidating. However, I would like to make an attempt to break into the men's game too. I'm not sure if I should just skip the men's game and go right to women's or make a try at the men's side first. I feel like I'm young enough (I'm 22) where if one side doesn't work out I can try the other.

That being said, would my "look" hurt me in the men's game? i.e. not tall enough, big enough? Would I have the label of men's official follow me if I tried to break into the women's game? I appreciate any suggestions/advice!