View Single Post
Old Thu May 26, 2011, 02:50pm
Official Forum Member

Snocatzdad, here's a different perspective.

As the plate umpire, I don't pay any attention at all to the batting order as players come up to bat. I only pay attention when the coach is making substitutions or when the opposing coach is appealing a BOO.

Given the situation in the OP, IF I noticed the same batter had remained in the batter's box, I may have asked her if she knew she was out on the last play, but, again, it is the OC's responsibility to ensure the correct batter is up to bat, not mine. Recall, I was down the line watching the catch with my back to home plate. Unless I actually recognize the player, I may not notice whether the batter is the same player as before or a different player.

Umpires sometimes lose track of the number of outs; it is rare for BOTH partners to lose track at the same time, but it could happen. What the umpires signal to each other regarding the number of outs does not change the actual number of outs.

Perhaps the OC was as confused as to what happened on the previous play as his batter apparently was; if so, he should have asked for clarification. Or, perhaps he knew there were 2 outs, but when he saw the umpires signal 1 out decided not to say anything.

Regardless, even though the umpire crew may have contributed to some confusion by signaling 1 out, they are not required to explain terminology when making a correct call (i.e. "catch and carry") on the chance that one coach or the other may not understand it, and the plate umpire is not responsible for monitoring the batting order. The OP's situation and a routine strike out or base on balls are different; in a routine strike out or BOB, the PU is right there watching the batter. In the OP, he wasn't.