View Single Post
Old Wed May 25, 2011, 06:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BretMan View Post
[...]

Top of the seventh, tie game. R1 on first. Ball hit to right center. Runner is off on contact. Catch is made and runner is easy pickings. But the throw from F8 is high, wide and into the dugout. Runner scrambles back to touch first, then I award third base.

Defensive coach thinks runner should only get second, because "he had to go back and touch first". His animated protests seem to get the fans agitated and they're really climbing us.

As it turns out, this runner proved to be the winning run. From the field to the car, my partner and I are accosted by angry fans, certain that our ineptitude has just deprived them of a victory.

After surviving that gauntlet and reaching our cars, we're confronted by a white-haired grandmotherly type who literally rips us a new one. Besides earning the coveted "Worst Umpire Ever" award, she tells us that we should never be allowed on any field ever again and that she is going to report us to the state high school association. I just looked at my partner and laughed.

Funny...never did get that disciplinary phone call from the state high school association...
Imagine the #&*!storm if you had the runner past second at the time of the throw. Is there a worse than worst-ever award?