View Single Post
Old Fri Feb 21, 2003, 05:06pm
Official Forum Member

OMQ
I am a Dad and I am 100% behind you. That mom vs dad comment was out of place, as is the head-on confrontation with a fan. It appears to me that some of you are more interested in one-upping your critic than in simply resolving the problem. The refs should be trying to stabilize the situation, not escalate a confrontation. There are many tools available to you. Use them - especially if you have game managment who can remove the problem. If the problem is removed without your personal involvement in a confrontational situation, you can keep to reffing the game.

No game management, well then you are going to have to deal with it. But you can still avoid direct confrontation with a fan. In one of our recent games, we had a parent that was way out of line. There is no management - it is an informal travel league where the coaches are supposed to keep things under control and refs handle the court. We have had very little trouble overall. Ref did not confront the parent - he addressed the coach and explained that the parent was supporting his team, was his responsibility. He also made it clear that the T would follow if the parent didn't control herself. Parent left the gym without further comment. Problem solved, ref kept himself to dealing with official participants in the contest, not the fans. I was impressed.