View Single Post
Old Thu May 19, 2011, 10:54am

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoBits View Post
Off the top of my head, and speaking NFHS:

I have two outs: One for using the illegal bat, and one for entering the box with an illegal bat (pretty sure that is correct). However, I have only one warning, and no restrictions (not quite as sure on that one).
7-4-2 says the batter is out when, ". . . The batter enters the batter's box with an illegal bat or is discovered having used an illegal bat and the infraction is detected before the next legal or illegal pitch (only the umpire or defense may detect an illegal bat).

The word "or" has me a bit concerned that we really cannot get two outs here. Granted, both batters have technically violated. But, considering both the wording and intent of the rule, I'm not sure whether or not we can get two outs on this play. I could not find a case play that parallels your OP.

Likewise, IMO we cannot restrict anyone here. Although two have technically violated, we have only one instance of the DC lodging the discovery. One out. One warning. One bat removal.

However, I would be open to hear arguments for getting two outs, a warning, and a restriction all at the same time. (I think a good case could be made based on the rules.) I don't think that punishment would fit the crime, however.

Interesting sitch!