View Single Post
Old Fri Feb 21, 2003, 12:09pm
Official Forum Member

I guess I've been lucky (or thick skinned) in that I haven't had to "T" up many coaches during the course of a game. However on Tuesday I had an incident in a JV game that required a direct "T" be issued to the coach. At that time I informed him that from this point forward he was restricted to his bench as he had lost the rights to a coaching box. At this point he begins to argue with me saying that "I'm allowed to stand up when I coach". I then attempted to explain the rule to him but he obviously wasn't buying it as he told me "you can't make up rules like that". I then warned him that any further outbursts would result in his 2nd direct technical and his ejection. At that point he shut up but at times during the game I noticed he was standing up and coaching...not seated as he was supposed to be. Now I realize that he is allowed to stand for spontaneous cheering/celebration, but that wasn't the case here.

I guess my question to you is, have you had this situation occur in your games, and how did you handle it? In my case I didn't press the issue as he kept his mouth shut regarding the officiating and I thought issuing another "T" (it would've been the third "T" of the game on his team) would not necessarily make the matters any better. Eventually the varsity coach did tell him that he needed to take a seat and from that point forward he complied.

Dave