View Single Post
Old Mon May 16, 2011, 09:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi View Post
Can't say I agree with that, necessarily. When I do slow pitch I reach up and remove my mask just like BretMan did, only thing is, my mask is still there. About 15 years ago I was working some SP games, saw a friend take a foul shot right to the mouth and nose, breaking his nose and causing him to lose several teeth. Blood was all over the place. I decided right then and there, that since I own the mask I might as well wear it. Yeah....I hear some crap from the other umps and players, but if I ever need it, who will have the last laugh then?
I've seen that happen to other umps, too. In fact, I think it was one of my teammates who was at bat when it happened. Broke the guy's nose, blood everywhere...

That's why it's important to get in the set position while in the slot. It becomes a LOT easier to avoid the foul ball coming straight back atcha.

Only time I ever get hit in the face is if the ball hits the ground and bounces up off the catcher's glove, or if I'm not focused enough.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.