View Single Post
Old Fri Nov 17, 2000, 09:53am
Official Forum Member

I use approx 40 officials on typical weekend. Not huge, but respectable. I officiate and assign. The officials working with me have been told the the standards I use to assign and I offered to all the ability and freedom to review any and all of my master schedule to assure things concur with the standards set. Few care to take the time. I am not afraid to have my work scrutinized. Don't know if all assignors would do this or expect them to.

Some assignors have a philosophy of putting the best officials on the best games. Not saying that is wrong, but my goal is to put QUALIFIED officials on all games. That provides greater opportunity to help with advancement. I attempt to spread the higher profile games among the qualified, always attempting to challenge the official (within the set standards) without putting him in overdemanding situations. When I challenge someone, I try to be sure to work him with one of the best officials for additional aid on the field. It also provides a better learning experience for the younger official. It is to my benefit to allow opportunities for advancement. When an official proves to the league he can handle higher caliber contests, it makes my job a little easier.

What I need from the higher ranked officials is the understanding they are not going to get the icing on the cake every week. The guys working with me know my goals and see known standards practiced to reach those goals. Of course, trying to keep the guys happy is part of the goal. I have lost very few official to competing assignors.

Don't be surprised to see a working assignor calling the worst games because nobody else wants them. He does this to help keep his guys happy with better games---which makes his assigning job easier to do. It may also be due to last second changes and difficulty in changing soneone else's schedule.

Bfair