View Single Post
Old Tue May 03, 2011, 12:04pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
Officiating doesn't pay the bills for most people. At some point, you'll have to worry about paying rent or a mortgage and I know my officiating income wouldn't come close to covering even this expense and doesn't pay anything near what my day job pays.

I'm not sure that an interview is a place, especially in this economy (I know I'm using a cliche here, but there is truth to it) where you give excuses to why you won't be able to work at certain times for a company. It's a matter of give and take. You'll be able to officiate with a job, but maybe not the same number of days a week you can while you're in school. When I thought about changing jobs 7 years ago, I did bring it up -- mainly because I wasn't sold on the idea of moving to a new job *and* because I already had a good job (albeit with some problems at the time).
You need to know as much about a job as possible. Maybe you do not bring up the situation directly with officiating, but I would want to know where I have to go everyday and what kind of travel. Around here the commute is a big thing so you may get a job but have to go an hour in traffic. I have even had jobs ask me did that bother me in the interview process. I think you need to know what a typical work week is like and what kind of responsibilities you have to do. This would be important if you had children and this should be the case if you have other responsibilities or commitments.

At the end of the day these things are personal. Someone just getting out of school is going to be in a completely different situation as someone that has been in a career or had a regular job for years. And certainly will have a different set of bills compared to someone that has a family. There are a lot of things to consider when interviewing and taking a job. Officiating is just one part of that. I think you should want a job where you are happy, not working a job where you are miserable. Officiating or not officiating might play a role in that for some people.

Peace