View Single Post
Old Mon May 02, 2011, 07:20am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yawetag View Post
Our games are assigned season-by-season through Arbiter, with extra games (due to rescheduling and turn-backs) being assigned on Sunday nights. I've never been offered the make-up game of a rain-out, but I know I can call on almost any day I don't have a game and pick one up.

Personally, I see no reason to offer the game to the original officials. The delay in assigning it to them, then having them decline it, only to give it to someone else is a waste. If the umpire doesn't already have a game, it's not difficult to pick one up.
You and I see this differently. If the assignor is using Arbiter, he has the officials' availability right in front of him. It's very easy to set a one day deadline for an official to accept or decline a change within Arbiter.

The point you must be missing is this: What's the difference between the assignor giving the games to someone else (he has to wait to see if *those* officials accept or decline the game, as well) or trying the original officials first. (If they aren't available, they should have the day blocked within Arbiter, anyway.)