View Single Post
Old Sun May 01, 2011, 03:49pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Here we deal with assignors, but I happened to work for one that thinks that these things are an obligation as well. This very thing you just described happened to me a week ago with a school and they not only first changed the time, they cancelled the game, then they decided to move the game to the other school. All of this was assuming that I was going to be around that morning (this was a Saturday DH BTW) and just answer the phone and then work the game as if no one cancelled the game the day before. Noootttt!!!!

I even got an email from the assignor assuming that I should have answered the phone from the school that Saturday morning to address the situation. Aaaahhhhnnnnooo!!! When they cancelled the game, things in my personal life changed and I made other plans. I even went out with some friends to celebrate a birthday Friday night, but these dumb schools think I was to just be around I guess and sit by the phone hoping they will play a game anyway. If this was a football or basketball game, this would have never been the case. I have had games get cancelled in those other sports for many reasons over the years and never once did anyone think the crew was supposed to just cover the game. Of if they did, they certainly learned the hard way. And then you get a phone call (not an email) from the assignor "asking" if you can cover the game and when you say no it is not a big deal or unexpected. I had that happen twice in basketball just this year where I lost games because of a snow storm and the assignors were as nice as they could be to see if I could work the rescheduled game. It was no big deal, not emails telling me I should accusing me this being an excuse or making it sound like I was wrong to turn down the game. The contract only should obligate you to the time and site that you agree to when the game was assigned, not when all the changes are made. And this is the type of BS I really am tired of. It happens too often in baseball and it is likely time to move on for me.
We have commissioners / assignors, too, but once the game is originally scheduled, they're usually out of the picture and the duty of contacting the crew and negotiating changes in time fall to the athletic directors.

Any change in time or location essentially invalidates the original contract. If I can do the games, I will, but if I can't I don't lose sleep over it.