Thread: Interference
View Single Post
Old Sat Apr 30, 2011, 03:54pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=mbcrowder;754467]
Quote:
Posting this because I can't convince a coach...

Left handed batter, runner on 3rd. Ball goes past the catcher. Pitcher comes straight in to the plate, in my judgement the frozen batter, still in the box, did not impede the pitcher. Even if there was contact, the pitcher is standing there in plenty of time for the throw, waiting on the throw. Throw finally comes (beginning of the throw from the catcher was after F1 was set up at the plate, if it matters to you), batter easily safe before the ball gets there.

Coach wants interference on the batter.

In your judgement, the batter did not interfere......than no interference. Coaches will be coaches. Umpires will be umpires. I know he will not take that as an explanation, but you ruled correctly by what you saw.

Quote:
What say you?

Now ... same sitch, but a RHB who if anything puts herself in the RUNNER'S? way, not the fielder, as the ball was up 3BLE by the backstop.

Last scenario. Frozen RHB in a similar sitch as above, but ball is on 1BLE and F2 doesn't throw the ball at all (possibly for fear of hitting the batter, possibly not ... I'm not in her head). Do you have anything now?
Same answer......if you judged the batter interfered......call it. I might have more of a case for interference in the last scenario though since the batter should have cleared the area and her presence would have interfered with a throw.

Joel

Last edited by Gulf Coast Blue; Sat Apr 30, 2011 at 04:12pm.