View Single Post
Old Thu Apr 28, 2011, 10:30am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
Exceptions to what? I don't work much AAU basketball, but in my experience obnoxious coaches are not rare.

As for the idea of girding one's loins: I approach every coach the same way, with respect. If I get respect back, then we're good. If not, then I know how to deal with it (ignore, warn, whack, as needed). No special preparation needed.

In my experience, if you go into a game looking for conflict, you can generally find it (and worsen it). Not professional, IMO.
You do not have to go into any game looking for conflict, it is already there. How you deal with it is the issue. And AAU coaches tend to think all that yelling and screaming works or makes them get what they want. The point is that if a HS coach gets out of line they can lose a lot more than a game. An AAU coach still will coach and often answers to no one, even the parents of the kids. It really does not matter how much respect you give a coach, they have to have some standards or morals to behave a certain way.

Also I have been attending a D2 camp the last several years where the basketball is an AAU Tournament. These are all officials that are very well trained and are in great shape and the things I have seen said to them or me I never see at the HS level. It is common that the person that runs the camp or a clinician has to talk to these stupid coaches after a game about something when they are dealt with very professionally.

We can go in with the best of intentions that does not mean we will not have to deal with knuckleheads the same.

Peace