View Single Post
Old Wed Apr 27, 2011, 03:18pm
Huck Finn

We went to a crew system similar to football this past season. As one of the crew chiefs, I assigned the officials on my crew, including myself. Officials were given opportunities earlier in the season and everyone worked every level - 9th grade to varsity and games out of town. Almost everyone who could get off work early enough worked middle school games too.

I had a class on Wednesdays that automatically decreased my schedule, but I was always conscience about how much and what games I worked. I also made it a point to pay attention and follow the instruction of our Instructional Chair (I'm very close to him).

One thing I did was make it perfectly clear to my crew that years in the association doesn't mean much to me. If someone can officiate, they can officiate. Everyone was judged on how they perform on the court, how they handle business off the court, communication and professionalism. It worked for our crew, but YMMV.