View Single Post
Old Wed Apr 27, 2011, 02:19pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to irp
The reason for no fee is historical, plus we don't get paid as much per game as you guys do so (D1 pays a max of £45 and some games are as low as £15) so people are unwilling to slice off a percentage of each fee.

Another thing to note is that we cannot get a tax break on professional fees, kit, etc. as we have to pay it all and that gets covered by the fees we are paid per game - when you are spending £'s on kit each year (even buying on the web is expensive when you get hot by import tax at 20% plus shipping) - so people don't want to cut out yet more by paying for the assignments as well.

There are differences with how things happen here, only one of the leagues I work requires us to pay to join, most do not and are run by volunteers, we do not have the infrastruture here for basketball so we make do as best we can.

It takes me about an hour to sort out changes each week plus about half a day twice a season doing the 'master' assignments list. To be honest, maybe it keeps me straight and clear on assignments by not getting paid. That said, I do get my returns through other things, I get to travel to places and see other officials as part of their (and my) development and that gets covered.

Whilst it would be nice to get paid, and it would certainly encourage other people to volunteer to do it, it is also an honour to be asked. There are others who may find it easier to do as they are retired, etc. but I see it as as part of my role in developing younger (and older) officials - I have got a lot out of basketball and now I can give it back.

Finally, if I was paid to do it then HMRC (think IRS) would tax me through the roof as they would slice every game fee paid and tax me on that - as a third job (main job, refereeing , and assigning) I would be losing half of it (my main job pays very well) so it saves me a lot of arguments with the tax man this way.

I know that most of you guys will think it mad, but it is the system we use and it works well - i don't ever pay for drinks and food when I meet other ref's and I enjoy the challenge (and I don't ever have to work really bad games in the league either).