View Single Post
Old Tue Apr 26, 2011, 12:22pm
Official Forum Member

"Slinging the bat"

NFHS Is there any rule anywhere that states if the batter slings the bat and it hits the catcher, a team warning is issued? If so, if it happens a second time what happens?

Here is the situation I witnessed last week: In the third inning a batter slung his bat and the bat hit the catcher. The plate umpire came out after the play and told the coach he was issuing a warning to his team. The coach said ok.

Later in the game, another batter (same team) slung his bat and hit the catcher. After the play, the umpire called him out and returned all runners to their bases they occupied at the time of the pitch.

I had never heard of this, so when I got an opportunity I asked the coach of the team why the batter was out. He said for "slinging the bat". I asked him was this a "local rule" of this HS association. He said "no, it's a baseball rule". I thanked him went back to my seat.

Yesterday I saw the umpire at a coach pitch game. I asked him about the play. He said he would have ejected the second batter had it been his second time. I asked him was this a special rule of the HS association. He said it was a NFHS rule.

Let me say this, at no time did I argue with the coach or umpire. I have umpired many HS games. I just have never heard or read this rule.

Can anyone tell me where this rule is located in the book?

Thanks

Last edited by Mike51; Tue Apr 26, 2011 at 12:26pm.