View Single Post
Old Sat Apr 23, 2011, 08:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeStrybel View Post
If a coach complains to an assignor about an umpire it is usually a result of a dramatic misstep by the official - personally or professionally.
Spoken like a true RAT. If a coach complains about an umpire, it is probably the umpire's fault. Utter bull$hit.

RAT is a term used by umpires speaking to other umpires. It reinforces our camaraderie. It reminds us that we are the only ones out there with honesty and integrity. We can't ever compromise that. Every game at every level, a RAT will try and get an edge by being dishonest or by downright cheating. Every single game.

We have to be honest and impartial from the first pitch to the last. There is no such requirement for a coach or player. In fact, dishonesty and attempts at cheating are expected of them. How often have you heard a coach say "You can't blame me for trying" after an unsuccessful attempt to gain an advantage by being disingenuous.

Our job is to make sure the game is played fairly and in accordance with the rules. Who wins the game is irrelevant. A RAT's job is to win the game by hook or by crook. In fact, cheating is actually taught by very good coaches and managers at the highest levels. It's part of the game.

Off the field, a coach can be a fine upstanding citizen. On the field, he is a RAT who won't hesitate to try and get me to make a mistake that will benefit his team. And if he succeeds at stealing the cheese, he will be applauded.

I am grateful for RATS. Without them, there would be no need for umpires.