View Single Post
Old Fri Apr 22, 2011, 12:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeStrybel View Post
While I can appreciate the need for some to disparage others who make them look bad, I am troubled by umpires who think it is okay to name call. If it is appropriate in your world to name call coaches, do you also do it to your partners when they aren't up to your standards? While no one is forcing you to use the term 'rat', I prefer to teach others the ways to improve the game and themselves. Kids learn from what they see and hear. So, too, do younger umpires. Name calling is unacceptable in most professions. Unless you are a comic or work for the WWE, it simply makes you look insecure.
Do you ever get down from your high horse, or just have supplies airlifted in?

Do you REALLY believe the umpires here go out and call a coach or player a rat on the field? Really?

And do you REALLY believe in this mythical Republic of Respectistan, where we all get along, and it's about improving the game all the time? (Some of the time, sure it is, but not all.)

Our assignor's already told us in a meeting this year there are plenty of coaches, HS and below, in our area that while they might blow smoke up our skirts on the field, they will turn around and call him after the game and ask if we've ever seen a game before. Is that professional? Not so much.

I can tell you the number of times I've called a coach's boss, either a principal or a league official, and said anything like that: zero. That's basically the equivalent of what a coach does.

While I'm civil to every coach on every field I work, I also know at any moment, they'll turn on me, and I'm suddenly the no-good SOB that's trying to eff his team. While name-calling in a profession is unacceptable, it appears THAT crap is a-okay in baseball, at least until the point where you EJ them.

Referring to guys like that as a rat on a message board helps me vent some steam, and keeps me from telling them on the field what I think of them. So it works.