Thread: PC 50 Whistle
View Single Post
Old Mon Apr 18, 2011, 12:12pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
Rut - I agree with you. I also know you don't do many (or any, I think) kids rec games. If you did, you'd realize the importance of keeping track of possession yourself. 99% of these games have volunteer parents keeping the clock and the book and many of them have never done it before (or only done it a very few times) so you have to explain how to do it to them. It can be really hard to explain possession to some parent who has virtually no concept of what that means. If the officials don't keep it, it just won't be kept. I know you said you can just keep it "in your mind" but I guess I'm not that accomplished. I wish I was. Congrats to you (I'm not being sarcastic but appreciative here).
Mark, I work enough games where there are people at the table that are not used to keeping track of a lot of things and somehow I manage. Everything from summer games to camp games it is common not to have a regular AP arrow at the table. Also what you call "rec games" are not the same animal where I live and what we experience. Most games of our games are school sanctioned until the summer which involves AAU or travel ball. Rec games are usually Men's leagues or adult intramural leagues of some kind.

Usually I talk the table people into using something like a pencil or a bottle so that we have something other than the scoreboard. I also never rely on the table even in games where the people are experienced at the table to know the AP status.

I think many of us use that as an excuse to not do things to keep track or be aware of when these times happen. I learned to "time stamp" things in games where I can remember key moments in the game and I do this for the AP. I am not saying it is perfect, but I have seen enough officials not switch and then they do not want to accept they missed a change. I guess if you want to use this that is fine with me, but I still look at it as a crutch.

Peace

Last edited by JRutledge; Mon Apr 18, 2011 at 12:42pm.