View Single Post
Old Sat Apr 16, 2011, 10:30am
Esteemed Forum Member

Not Many Of Us Left ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
There must be a lot wrong with the country because both are some of the most popular things in this country. Go figure.
NBA's TV ratings up across all national networks - ESPN

I guess that I'm in the minority. I am not a big NBA fan, nor can I wrap my arms around rap.

I was a big NBA fan back when I was a young man. Loved watching the Celtics on Sunday afternoons on ABC. Bill Russell was, and still is, one of my favorite athletes. Loved watching the Knicks on local television (WOR-TV Channel 9). Look up teamwork in the dictionary and you'll see a picture of a Knicks team from the late 60's or early 70's. I still have fond memories of Willis Reed limping onto the court to help beat the Lakers in game seven. I somehow lost my love of NBA basketball. It was slightly revived during the Larry Bird/Earvin Johnson era, but that didn't last very long. I'll occasionally watch a Celtic game, when there's absolutely nothing else on television, but that will only be for a few minutes.

I have never liked rap (although I will sometimes enjoy the background songs that some rap artists sample). It might have something to do with the fact that I have never, ever, appreciated poetry. It also might have something to do with some of the themes (anti-women, anti-police), and the use of profanity, that seems to be very common in many rap songs. I do like some of the more "tame" stuff that Eminem, or Jay-Z, might perform on Letterman (love it when Dave calls him Marshall) but that's about as far as it goes for me.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Apr 16, 2011 at 10:35am.