Thread: Appeal this
View Single Post
Old Mon Feb 17, 2003, 12:53pm
Official Forum Member

I attended a rules meeting last weekend and this question on the FED test came up........On part one of the NFHS test question #39 states "Following a failed pick-off attempt of a runner at first base, the defense may then appeal a missed base by another runner."

Now, here is my knowledge of the appeal rule. The defense still has the right to appeal a missed base if the offense initiates a play. A runner attempting to steal a base is an excellent example of the offense initiating a play. The defense however, loses the right to appeal a missed base if the pitcher attempts a pick-off move because the defense initiated the play.

Now, assuming that my understanding of the appeal rule is correct, the answer to question #39 is FALSE and the reason is because the defense initiated the play by attempting a pick-off move therefore they lose the right to appeal a missed base. Simple enough, right? Well, here is the reason for my post....

If you look in the new case book on page 55 under 8.2.2 Situation G it states, "Having missed second base, the runner is standing on third. The pitcher, before any pitch, legally attempts to pick off the runner standing on first. The coach then requests time and verbally states that the runner on third missed second base. RULING: This is a legal appeal. The runner is declared out."

The ruling in the case book contradicts the defense losing the right to appeal a missed base if they initiate (pick off attempt) a play. Someone please explain this. Thank you!!