Thread: Lag Time
View Single Post
Old Wed Nov 15, 2000, 06:23pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

IMHO, the concept of lag time is the second most confusing part of the rules (closely following correctable errors) - made even more confusing by the fact that lag time does not appear anywhere in the rules (please show me a reference if I am wrong) but only in the casebook.

Now, I'm sure this has been beaten to death in past years, but I got my copy of the rulebook & casebook in the mail today, and would like some clarification to two plays in the casebook.

5.10.1B
Play: A1 Travels. Immediately after the official sounds the whistle and signals the clock to stop, he/she glances at the clock and notices there are three seconds remaining in the quarter. However, the timer does not stop the clock and time expires.
Ruling: The referee will direct that three seconds be put back on the clock since he/she had definite knowledge of the amount of time involved.

5.10.1D
Play: As the official calls a three-second lane violation, he/she properly sounds the whistle and gives the signal to stop the clock. While doing this, the official is able to see the exact time remaining in the fourth quarter. The clock shows five seconds remaining. . . . (d) the time runs out completely.
Ruling: The referee will order four seconds put on the clock in . . . (d). One second must be allowed for normal reaction even when a correction is made. The timer should be able to react and stop the clock in one second when the whistle is heard and/or the signal is seen.

What is the difference in these two situations? Also, what is meant by the comment following 5.10.1B?