View Single Post
Old Tue Apr 05, 2011, 07:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Slick View Post
[I guess I should use the [rant] tag at this point]
A factor why there are so many myths is that some believe that baseball and softball are the same sport. They are NOT the same sport. They have some similarities, and maybe the same objective(s), but they are two independent sports. Why not create a list of ice hockey/field hockey myths? Because they are two separate and independent sports.

Perhaps the biggest fallacy (IMO) is that softball is perceived as "girl's baseball." As many on this site can tell you, softball is played by girls, boys, men, women (and sometimes having both men and women on the field at the same time!) in four varieties of pitching (fast, modified, slow and 16"). It angers me when someone states "why can't softball rules and baseball rules be the same?"
I once shared a elevator ride with MS from NFHS. When she found out where I was from, she said, "Oh, yes. That's where that cute little man who is the Rules Interpreter and keeps asking me why softball can't use the same rules as basebell is from."

I LMAO!

Let me go one better, and this REALLY pisses off the BASEBALL is pure American fanatics. I contend that the game is a derivative of Rounders which has been around since the 16th century in the British Empire.

Even a step further, I contend that anyone who reads up on this game will readily recognize that it more simulates softball than baseball. And another step, slowpitch more than fastpitch.

And while I'm on a role, Abner Doubleday had zero, zip, nil, nada, nothing to do with baseball or its discovery. The baseball folks ripped-off the game they claim to be their own!

Last edited by IRISHMAFIA; Tue Apr 05, 2011 at 07:59pm.