View Single Post
Old Sun Apr 03, 2011, 03:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundedlikeastrike View Post
Maybe we were looking at different posts?

The OPers "second post" clarified further what occured on the play from the OP. "The confusion was due to the player who scored altering his path, making a left turn and right into the path of the throw."

Doesn't sound like a bad throw that had no shot of being fielded.

But it does sound both "blatant and avoidable" to me.
How so? He was doing what he was supposed to, and had no knowledge of where the ball was travelling.

Quote:
And no doubt would be judged the same by any knowledgable/trained umpire, were it to occur in front of them. Regardless of the responces here, I'm confident that this would be called int. correctly everytime.
Your second sentence here does not match the first. A knowledgeable, trained umpire is NOT going to call this INT absent intent.

Quote:
I have called this one time in 30+ yrs., heard of it being called on one other occasion by an umpire with more years than I. So, twice that I am aware of in over 60 years of umpiring, it's a TWP at best.
The reason that you've heard of it being called twice is that those are the times it was called incorrectly.

Quote:
So, if you've a grasp of the rules, a sense of fair play, are willing to do the right thing, then you too would enforce this accurately should the need arise.
Yep, which is not what you are positing.

Quote:
And don't worry, should you screw it up or choose not to enforce due to a lack of TF, I'm pretty sure the coaches won't know anyway.

So just make it sound good and you'll be fine, unless of course it gets to a knowledable protest committee, then you might just be "coming back" and working for free.
All that chest-pounding soapbox action, and you're still wrong.

Learn the intent of the rules before you take the podium. If you're the umpire, and I'm the coach, guess where I'm telling my guys to throw the ball?