View Single Post
Old Sun Apr 03, 2011, 01:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUmpire View Post
The OP wasn't vague. The runner, after scoring, is hit in the back by a poorly thrown ball away from the play.

That is not interference. Simple.

Maybe we were looking at different posts?

The OPers "second post" clarified further what occured on the play from the OP. "The confusion was due to the player who scored altering his path, making a left turn and right into the path of the throw."

Doesn't sound like a bad throw that had no shot of being fielded.

But it does sound both "blatant and avoidable" to me.

And no doubt would be judged the same by any knowledgable/trained umpire, were it to occur in front of them. Regardless of the responces here, I'm confident that this would be called int. correctly everytime.

I have called this one time in 30+ yrs., heard of it being called on one other occasion by an umpire with more years than I. So, twice that I am aware of in over 60 years of umpiring, it's a TWP at best.

So, if you've a grasp of the rules, a sense of fair play, are willing to do the right thing, then you too would enforce this accurately should the need arise.

And don't worry, should you screw it up or choose not to enforce due to a lack of TF, I'm pretty sure the coaches won't know anyway.

So just make it sound good and you'll be fine, unless of course it gets to a knowledable protest committee, then you might just be "coming back" and working for free.