View Single Post
Old Wed Mar 30, 2011, 12:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngump View Post
No, it's definitely not. Took me a while to figure out what you were doing, first because I went to the ASA rule book first. Then I realized that was an NFHS citation. The problem is that you changed it when you retyped it so I definitely was never going to find the part you "quoted".

The rule says very clearly that fair foul decisions are final. Then you "quoted" the section that says that application of playing rules are not final. And you edited in a quote about a foul ball that doesn't belong. I realize your goal was to have the parenthesis read as your commentary, but only after checking your reference. Please try and be more careful with your quotes.

Now as to the discussion I wouldn't hang too much on the first part of that rule from a textual analysis standpoint, but given that this conforms generally to the way we call it around here, this statement certainly agrees. Though I've always figured that if I called it fair for a fixable reason that I could switch to foul and you could argue that this precludes that in high school. I don't think that was the intent.
Just for clarification, Ronald's response was correct for ASA.

I'm not talking about a questionable, close to the line fair/foul call, but an obvious brain fart by the umpire where 100% of the people saw it fair, but the umpire called "FOUL".

This may take a UIC in a tournament, but it would be award the BR 1B and place other runners appropriately. Ronald said forced, but if it is equally as obvious a runner would have reached the next base had the umpire not erred, I will probably allow him/her to keep that base.