View Single Post
Old Thu Feb 13, 2003, 02:04pm
Official Forum Member

NOte that the rule regarding calling a time out states the signal may be oral OR visual. Therefore, the official does not need to SEE a sign in order to call the time out. He must see Who is calling it.

IMHO this is a bad rule and causes problems that are being discussed. the main one is finding a moment to take your wyes off the play and see the coach. then the ball is in a different position when you turn back. So, so you blow a delayed whistle when you turn back and the ball is now loose and not in the player's hands when you turned to see the coach. Theoretically the play stops only when the whistle sounds and often I am blowing it when the player does not have control. I do so because I blame myself for not being quick enough. Frequently happens after a scored basket. I find it is something to talk about in the pre game so we are on the same page.

what also confuses and amazes me is the situation where the coach is screaming at the top of his lungs for 20 seconds and the five dummies on the court, that he coaches, do not call a time out.

Solution: Change the rule