View Single Post
Old Mon Mar 28, 2011, 06:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
Injustice??

Seriously?

You honestly believe that this rises to the level of an injustice?

Wow...like I stated before, the NCAA will site these games where they KNOW they can draw a good crowd. Spokane has been good them before and is doing so again. Place has sold out (or close to it) for all of the games.

If you are wondering why, then you have never been to Spokane before. There ain't much else to do there.

Nevada didn't write that he couldn't understand why this happened, he wrote that the circumstance was unjust. And I completely agree with him. Gonzaga got to play home games at a regional. And not just a de facto home game or games, a la Baylor's men at the 2010 South Regional in Houston. No, we're talking the actual home court. If you're Louisville, you have to wonder why they didn't just drop the pretense and let Gonzaga wear the whites.

On the men's side, this is strictly prohibited. Seeding and bracketing would be turned upside down before this were allowed to happen. But on the women's side it's allowed, for purely market reasons.

All of which brings us back to Nevada's original question: when will the women's game get to the point at which this doesn't happen? My guess is that it won't ever happen. The women's basketball committee may be making the right decision in the short run to allow situations like the above to continue to happen, but in the long run what the sport needs is to be taken seriously by a broader audience. And allowing situations like the one above doesn't help.