View Single Post
Old Sun Mar 27, 2011, 10:47pm
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Gee, I wonder if Steve Kroft will ask him if he recruits...
I watched it tonight. Hurley says he doesn't recruit, and the rationale is the best typically come to him to weed out through try-outs. Considering his reputation, I'll buy it.

Quote:
Public high school coaches have wanted Catholic high schools to compete in their own state tournament division for many years (right now we have four divisions based on school enrollment size).
As do we. (They're called "classes" in Maine, A, B, C, D.) You hear a few rumblings of separating the publics and privates here, but considering the publics win a lot more gold balls (state titles) than the privates, it's a moot point disregarded as sour grapes. We only have three Catholic high schools (one all girls -- state Class A champion with a D-size enrollment). The other private schools are either Christian schools or without any religious affiliation. There's some recruiting, but some public schools have also been involved just as much.

I went to a public school in Maine and a private school in South Carolina, where they separate public and private school leagues. While social factors are quite different in SC than those of ME, I'd hate to see Maine creating such a dichotomy between publics and privates.